Who knew vegan recipes could be so good? Taste tested and approved!
You’ve read all about Living the Vegan Life, and now you’re dying to try some delicious vegan recipes, right? We asked Chelta, Betsy, and Connie to share some of their favorite recipes with our hungry readers. Some ingredients may even surprise you!
Chelta’s Fave: Egyptian Red Lentil Soup
(Makes 6-8 servings)
5 cups vegetable broth or 5 cups water
1 cup dried red lentils
2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped potatoes
8 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
1 T. canola oil
2 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. turmeric
1 t. salt
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 T. fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper
1. Add the first 5 ingredients to a large pot; cover and bring to a boil.
2. Lower the heat and simmer 15-20 minutes or until the lentils and veggies are tender. Take pot from stove burner and set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, add the oil; warm over low heat until the oil is hot but not smoking. Add in the cumin, turmeric, and salt; cook and stir constantly for 2-3 minutes or until the cumin has released its fragrance (be careful not to scorch the spices). Set spice mixture aside for 1 minute to cool.
4. Stir spice mixture into the lentil mixture; add cilantro, stir to combine. You can puree the soup, in batches, in a blender OR you can use an immersion blender and blend to desired texture.
5. Add in lemon juice; stir to combine.
6. Rewarm soup in soup pot; season if needed with salt/pepper.
Betsy’s Fave: Flexy Sexy Asian Slaw
(Makes about two servings)
Betsy’s note: Be sure to serve this slaw in an Asian bowl with chopsticks to make a mouthwatering presentation that is as fun to eat as it is pretty. The surprise ingredient–popcorn–may sound odd, but it is delicious and nutritious.
1 T. vegan butter
3 T. vegan sour cream
1/4 t. prepared Thai Red Curry Paste (or more, to taste)
1-2 T. vegan fish sauce, lime juice, or half of each
6 cups popped kettle corn (slightly sweet and salty)
1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
1/4 cup lightly roasted and salted cashew halves or peanuts + a couple for garnish
1 T. pinched fresh cilantro leaves + 2 sprigs for garnish
1. In a medium-large bowl, melt butter with sour cream in microwave for 30 seconds to a minute.
2. Whisk in curry paste and vegan fish sauce.
3. Fold in remaining ingredients, except garnishes.
4. Pile into two small Asian-style bowls, garnish with cilantro sprigs and cashew halves, and serve immediately with chopsticks.
Connie’s Fave: Lemon Pepper Chik’n Salad
(Makes about four sandwiches/servings)
1 package Beyond Meat ® Chik’n Strips, thawd (Grilled or Lightly Seasoned flavor)
Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
1 t. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup Just Mayo ® (or more, to taste)
1 T. Dijon mustard
1 t. dried marjoram
1 t. dried dill
1 t. dried basil
1 t. dried cilantro
1 clove garlic, minced
1 rib celery, minced
salt, to taste
1. Shred the Beyond Meat® strips, using a fork to separate by lightly twisting the strips. (Alternatively, strips can be cut into cubes). Place in medium bowl.
2. Combine lemon juice and zest with pepper and salt. Add to chik’n and allow to marinate at least an hour (a bit longer if you have the time).
3. Mix together remaining ingredients with chik’n.
4. Serve as sandwich or scooped atop butter lettuce or arugula.